Established as a unique leader in the emerging stormwater field, Stormwater Maintenance & Consulting (SMC) is seeking an enthusiastic Engineer who has a passion for restoring the Chesapeake Bay. The position will entail the design of challenging restoration projects for non-profit organizations, commercial landowners, and MS-4 municipalities. As existing infrastructure specialists with leading edge projects, you will be challenged technically while enjoying a vibrant working environment. Become part of our enthusiastic group of professionals who have a passion for all things stormwater while contributing to the growth of one of the Mid-Atlantic’s leading stormwater focused firms.
Based in Hunt Valley, Maryland, your design assignments will be located throughout the Baltimore/Washington corridor. You will be the responsible engineer for final design and drawing preparation on unique projects that include repair and remediation of existing stormwater facilities, retrofit of existing facilities to meet current water quality requirements, new facilities that treat existing impervious areas, and other environmental improvement projects, such as stream restoration. All work will be under the supervision and mentoring of our amazing management team and technical mentors.
SMC is a unique organization. As in the case of many other design firms, we have comprehensive in-house capabilities that include engineering, natural resource management, landscape architecture, and surveying. But that is where comparisons to other firms end for engineers who want to experience a real-world perspective that is at the core of the practice of engineering. SMC also provides construction, general contracting, and operations and maintenance services with in-house resources. We routinely do design/build with only in-house resources – the way it should be. This means that your professional judgement and design decisions will be informed by co-workers who, every day, actually build and maintain what you design. No more theories or guessing.
This position requires:
- A degree in civil or agricultural/biological engineering or equivalent experience.
- Licensure or candidacy as a Professional Engineer.
- Good communication skills (respectful, friendly, outgoing, courteous, etc)
- Capability to work in both office and field environments
- Experience with stormwater and erosion & sediment control design, preferably in Maryland, is absolutely required.
- Experience, a clear understanding, and technical interest in hydrology and hydraulics, including TR-55, TR-20, HEC-RAS, etc.
- Experience and proficiency in AutoCAD and Civil 3D. We are a design/draft culture, so CAD is a must.
- Experience with preparation of permit and construction drawings and specification.
- Experience in the details of obtaining stormwater approvals from counties, Soil Conservation Districts, and/or the Maryland Department of the Environment.
- We are a 100% digital workplace, so you must be comfortable with producing work product and communicating via computer.
You will be mentored and coached by some of the most qualified and experienced people in the stormwater profession.
This is a perfect position for an engineer experienced in land development engineering who prefers to work toward improving water quality to restore the Chesapeake Bay. We value land development experience as it applies to restoration engineering, but we offer a much more relaxed and employee-focused culture.
Our company offers competitive wages based on work experience and employee performance, an exceptional employee benefits package, and unlimited advancement potential available for the right person. We are the leader in this field with a culture of mutual respect, technical excellence, having fun, and maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
Equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap status, Vietnam era or disabled Veterans status.